Resources: Lean Process Mapping, Lean generic process, lean process steps & type of process map – simple flow diagram, swim lane map, value stream map
Why Process Mapping?
• Process mapping:
– Graphically represents the process steps
– Shows a birds eye view of how the whole process flows
– Can be used to identify problem areas and opportunities for process
– Provides a common understanding of the entire process and specific
roles and contributions of process participants.
– Before you can improve a process, you must understand it.
• Process maps are good for:
– Streamlining work activities and telling new people, as well as internal
and external customers, “what we do around here.”
– Helping in the effort to reduce cycle time, avoid rework, eliminate
some inspections or quality control steps, and prevent errors.
• Process maps are a great problem solving tool
– Helps us determine what is the problem/what it is not
In material flow, the process boxes should be identified one by one. A data box should be established for each process box. In each data box, the following data should be measured (By stop watch) and recorded:
1. C/T (Cycle time): It is the time required to produce one piece of product by a machine, station and/or operator. It is the time required to repeat a given sequence of operations or events.
2. C/O (Chang over time) It is the time required to switch from one product type to another product type. For example, how long it takes for a pizza maker to switch from making one type of pizza to another type of pizza.
3. Uptime: It is the proportion of time a process step is operational.
4. EPE (Production batch size)
5. Number of operators
6. Number of product variations
7. Scrap rate
In a flow shop, Cycle Time Is the time between 2 pieces of finished product pieces,Or the production time between two consecutive pieces
Lead time is the time that one piece of product moves all the way from start to finish of the whole process
Value added time is the time of thosework elements that actually transformthe product in the way that customers is willing to pay for